This course will enhance the Physics subject knowledge, pedagogy and skills of teachers by encouraging them to look at the big picture, linking and developing key ideas and concepts.
It will help delegates develop secure subject knowledge, identify common student misconceptions and effective strategies to address these, and deliver successful practical activities to help their students develop a sound understanding of fundamental concepts.
Some sessions will focus on approach and pedagogy rather than content, for example maximising learning from practical work. Other sessions concentrate on areas which form the back-bone of Physics teaching in school, particularly for non-specialists, for example energy.
- (10th October) Introduction / Teaching Energy: including models for effective learning, dealing with preconceptions.
- (13th November) Forces and motion: including effective analysis using equations and graphs.
- (10th December) Circuits and electromagnetism: including techniques to maximise effective practical work.
- (23rd January 2019) Waves: including models for effective learning, dealing with preconceptions.
- (26th February 2019) Space and particles: including teaching abstract concepts.
- (18th March 2019) Seminar to presenting and critique academic writing task; discuss course outcomes and celebrate successes.
Nicky Thomas – RSA Academy Arrow Vale / Institute of Physics
Who is it suitable for:
- Non-specialists in middle schools and secondary schools teaching Key Stages up to Physics GCSE (Higher); teachers returning after a career break.
What will you take away with you?
- Understanding of transferable physics teaching skills.
- 20 masters credits (Birmingham City University).
What is the intended impact for you?
- Improved understanding of Physics pedagogy at secondary level; extended subject knowledge and skills.
What is the intended impact for your school?
- Improved Physics teaching enabling non-specialists to teach Physics in a secondary environment with greater confidence.
Register your attendance by filling out the form below.